[leafnode-list] Re: I broke slrn

On 3/29/06, Martin <virenfang@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 12:15:23PM +0100, hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Is this a slrn or leafnode problem?
>
> It's a PEBKAC (slrn). ;-)

Has this replaced RTFM?  That I haven't gotten the memo is troubling... ;)

Had to google it, and someone wanted to sell me a shirt.

I'm unconvinced that it's slrn, here's why.  Slrn used to work.  Then
I configured leafnode.  Now, slrn won't connect with *any* news
server.  Ergo, leafnode did something.  Faulty logic?

I'm sure it's a RTFM/PEBKAC solution, though.

> slrn builds your "From:" by collecting "$realname
> <$username@$hostname>". So you probably want to use
>
> | set username "hawat.thufir"
> | set hostname "gmail.com"

Makes sense, thanks.

> manual.txt says:
>
> |  hostname is used as the domain part of the email address slrn puts in
> |  your ``From:'' header, so it should be set to just that. This may or
> |  may not be the hostname of the machine slrn is running on, depending
> |  on whether you have an email account on that machine and whether you
> |  want to use it for your usenet postings.
> |
> |  Please see the entry ``$HOSTNAME'' for a discussion of slrn's default
> |  behaviour if this variable is unset.
> |
> |  Note: In each case, slrn either uses the information you set in
> |  ``posting_host'' or returned by gethostbyname(3) to generate its
> |  Message-IDs, so their domain part is not influenced by the value of
> |  this variable.
> |
> |  See also: ``realname'', ``username''
>
> As far as I know, $hostname is used for no other purpose than assembling
> your mailaddress.
>
> HTH, Martin

Kinda, Martin.  I'd like to get slrn to connect to leafnode.  Pan does
so fine, but I'm not a fan.  Alternately, totally off topic, I'd like
to get slrn to connect to my ISP's news server, just to establish for
myself that slrn works.

thufir@localhost ~ $
thufir@localhost ~ $ slrn -h shawnews.vc.shawcable.net
slrn 0.9.8.1 [2004-10-07]
slrn fatal error:
Unable to find a valid hostname for constructing your e-mail address.
You will have to specify a hostname in your .slrnrc file.

thufir@localhost ~ $ cat -n /home/thufir/.slrnc
     1  set username "hawat.thufir"
     2  set hostname "gmail.com"
     3  set posting_host "shawnews.vc.shawcable.net"
thufir@localhost ~ $ nano /home/thufir/.slrnc
thufir@localhost ~ $ slrn -h localhost
slrn 0.9.8.1 [2004-10-07]
slrn fatal error:
Unable to find a valid hostname for constructing your e-mail address.
You will have to specify a hostname in your .slrnrc file.

thufir@localhost ~ $ cat -n /home/thufir/.slrnc
     1  set username "hawat.thufir"
     2  set hostname "gmail.com"
     3  set posting_host "localhost"
thufir@localhost ~ $ nano /home/thufir/.slrnc
thufir@localhost ~ $ slrn -h geidiprime.servbeer.com
slrn 0.9.8.1 [2004-10-07]
slrn fatal error:
Unable to find a valid hostname for constructing your e-mail address.
You will have to specify a hostname in your .slrnrc file.

thufir@localhost ~ $ cat -n /home/thufir/.slrnc
     1  set username "hawat.thufir"
     2  set hostname "gmail.com"
     3  set posting_host "geidiprime.servebeer.com"
thufir@localhost ~ $ telnet localhost 119
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 Leafnode NNTP Daemon, version 1.11.3.rel running at localhost (my
fqdn: geidiprime.servebeer.com)
^]

telnet> quit
Connection closed.