[leafnode-list] Re: posts to gmane go missing

Am 25.08.2012 22:46, schrieb Thufir:

> root@dur:~# fetchnews -Pvvv
> leafnode 1.11.8: verbosity level is 3, debugmode is 0
> try_lock(timeout=5), fqdn="dur.bounceme.net"
> news.gmane.org: postarticles: trying to post file 4008-1345926966-3
> Message-ID <mipng9-8t3.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> news.gmane.org: postarticles: POST of article 4008-1345926966-3 OK

> where gmane does, apparently, reply with "OK" and yet the post never
> makes it to the group.  The particular thread:

GMANE does not have "newsgroups" in the original semantics, it just
mirrors mailing lists and offers them through NNTP and web interfaces.

Many lists only permit you to post if you are a subscriber, or are
registered as someone who may post.  GMANE would forward your post to
the mailing list, but not show it locally.

Depending on the particular list, procedures of dealing with postings
from non-subscribers vary. Some are moderated and possibly manually
approved later, some are rejected, and some are just dropped silently.

GMANE may have information on the list policies, or else you'd need
to check the list itself (the relevant contact information should be
available from GMANE).

I suggest to browse GMANE info texts and *.backup.dar.support group
information on GMANE carefully to figure out a bit more.

> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.dar.support/2578
>
> If it was just this one group I would blame either the mailing list or
> gmane, but it's more systemic. Only some gmane groups silently eat my
> posts, other gmane groups work fine, and other servers work fine.  I'm
> subscribed to the DAR support group.
>
> Is it reasonable to proceed thinking that gmane did in fact receive the
> above post and leafnode is working?

The log confirms that is exactly what has happened, here:

> news.gmane.org: postarticles: trying to post file 4008-1345926966-3
Message-ID <mipng9-8t3.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> news.gmane.org: postarticles: POST of article 4008-1345926966-3 OK

HTH
Matthias