[leafnode-list] Re: No address associated with hostname

> On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 12:14:21PM +0200, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> > >
> > > âNope, the line is:
> > >     server   = news.eternal-september.org
> > >

> > âI finally found the problem: there where two leafnode config files.
> There
> > was one in /etc/leafnode and one in /etc/news/leafnode. I was editing the
> > first, while I should be editing the second (but did not know it
> existed).
> > Now everything works.
> >
> > And yes news was the server instead of the protocol. If they just would
> > have used something like news.edit â
>
> It is frustrating. The default should be obvious to be edited and obvious
> fake. The choice would be to change it to e.g. 'news.example.com' as that
> is per RFC 2606 what it is used for, because the server 'news' might be
> something completely different. It could be the server where people get
> their daily corporate news.
>
> I think news.example.com would already give enough of an indication that
> it is talking about a domain name and not a service. It would also make
> looking for issues a LOT easier to understand.

âYes, that would even have been better. In hindsight I could have know what
the problem was, but I did not. If I had seen news.example.com I would
immidiatly have known the problem was that I was editing the wrong config
file. Would have saved me a lot of stress and time. I will mention it on
the Debian list.

--
Cecil Westerhof