Re: [leafnode-list] spooldir owner

[resending to the list, I wasn't wide aware when replying and hit r
rather than L]

Bonjour Yvon,

vous avez écrit: (je vais continuer en anglais pour la plupart parce que
malheureusement, je ne suis pas comme vite en écrire français comme en
écrire anglais.)

> >Is 71 the numeric GROUP ID of the group "news"?
>
> yes

Well. I don't know a standard command to query this, but perhaps you can
run:   perl -e 'print join(":", getgrnam("news")),"\n";'
and show me the output.

> nord-2-81-57-96-20:~> id news
> uid=9(news) gid=71 groups=71
>
> nord-2-81-57-96-20:~> id -g news
> 71
>
> nord-2-81-57-96-20:~> id -gn news
> 71

It is striking that the group name is printed only numerically, "id -gn"
should have printed a string.

This means that the NetInfo data base (probably -- I don't have MacOS X
to test and the SourceForge MacOS X hosts are both down) probably lacks
a proper item in the NetInfo "groups" directory or path or however MacOS
X's NetInfo calls this.

Try:

echo 'news:*:71:news' | niload group .

And see if this fixes "id -gn news" and ls. If this does not help,
please show me the output of "nidump group ."

> however leafnode starts up for a time and fall down after :

You must use a super server such as inetd or xinetd to start leafnode.

Using xinetd is highly recommended to avoid denial of service attacks on
your computer, but inetd is fine if you are the only one who has access
to your leafnode.

> is there a way to telnet leafnode news server ? in order to have more
> precise infos ?

telnet localhost 119

should usually work. (Type QUIT and press the [ENTER] key to get out.)

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)