[leafnode-list] Re: Wrong reply to ARTICLE command: "412 no group selected"

Am 17.02.2009, 00:17 Uhr, schrieb Paul Brooks <paulbrooks59@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I re-ran the command with windowsize=1 but still found the same
> errors occurring.
> I have a couple of copies of the leafnode folder for test purposes and
> I did notice that in the real copy, not for testing, a message about
> stale watermarks. This was a day or 2 after your last reply.

Hi Paul,

stale watermarks are unrelated and are a local condition. They can be
caused by fetchnews crashes or filesystem corruption (if you find evidence
to the former, or even better, a "fetchnews.core" or "core" file, let me
know), but should fix themselves, or they can be fixed with "texpire -r".
In severe cases, with the watermarks being reset across long distances,
newsreaders may consider articles seen that were actually new, but this
should only happen if major amounts of articles with highest numbers in
the respective group are removed.

I haven't heard back from their support either. You, as customer, can try
to file a support request, and you can refer them to me for further
information on leafnode; but barring further input from your provider, the
bottom line is for me that your Usenet provider has (a) corrupt databases
(where XOVER and article data base are inconsistent, and articles listed
in overview aren't available), (b) buggy software that responds with bogus
error codes (412 when 411 were appropriate), (c) doesn't respond to
queries from external interested parties.

If it doesn't work with windowsize=1, I'm out of ideas for the moment -
sorry for that.