[leafnode-list] Re: news.mozilla.org: reading new newsgroups failed, reason "501 no such list available"

Am 28.03.2009, 23:05 Uhr, schrieb Jeff Grossman <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Okay, so that did not work.  I just received another "reading new
> newsgroups failed" on my ISP's connection.  I have the "nodesc = 1" line
> on both the ISP one and on the mozilla one, but I only get the error on
> my ISP one.  They both connect to Giganews for the news connection.
> Very weird.

nodesc suppresses retrieving descriptions, whereas the failing operation
is retrieving new newsgroups.

However, it's Giganews's job to deploy conformant software, not the
clients' duty to work around protocol violations on servers.

WRT Clemens's question whether or not the error is visible, that depends
on syslog and fetchnews configuration: where does fetchnews log (console,
console with redirection, syslog), does syslog capture the message, will
syslog copy to consoles?

HTH